Saturday, August 23, 2008

Do NOT distract me!

I wanted to write something here, but I don't want to be too distracted from my present goal: reorganization and fung-shwae (somebody tell me how to spell that please) of my abode. We are moving from this place in 9 months, and by the time we go, I want to only possess what is really necessary. I don't want to move across the country with a whole bunch of junk that we don't really need (that's what we did when we moved from Utah to here). When we moved here, I kept way too much stuff that was not needed, and I don't want to repeat that mistake. As I've been parting with things that I thought I needed but really didn't, I've felt an imaginary weight being lifted from me. It feels so could to be free of stuff and not to value it so much. There really is very little that I actually need to keep and the more I part with stuff, the easier it is to part with more stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting rid of all I possess, I'm just realizing that my posessions aren't as needed as I percieved them to be.
The plan is not to add more stuff to our stuff either. Hopefully when we move, we will be happy with what we've got and choose not to accumulate more unnecessary stuff.
Check out thestoryofstuff.com to learn about stuff and why we truly don't need to accumulate so much of it, etc.
Have a good one. now I must continue on my quest for less.

8 comments:

l i z said...

i believe it's feng shui. and i think you are so right about all the stuff. we've been in our house just over a year and we've accumulated WAY too much in that short amount of time! are you packing to move back to Utah? it would be really neat to see you again!

smellame said...

Where are you headed in said 9 months? We need to be decluttering and getting rid of stuff as well. So happy feng shuiing and such!

Jenni said...

yep, it's feng shui. I am moving in 9 months too, (probably to a place half the size of the place we have now), and I'm overwhelmed with all of our stuff. I'm all about purging! Good luck with it!

plugalong said...

I've been thinking a lot lately about buying less. One thing I've done is offer the children an activity with friends (for example, a visit to a swimming pool or somewhere) instead of gifts. I let them choose.

plugalong said...

I meant for birthdays.

my favorite color is green said...

I'm glad you all want to feng shui. I have some good feng shui music too- I don't listen to it when I clean, just when I do yoga. It's quite nice.

my favorite color is green said...

Oh, and we don't have any idea where we're moving in 9 months... maybe Florida. Will you all visit us there?

Unknown said...

It's about time you got rid of all that crap! Just kidding! But kind of not at the same time...